Saturday, February 5, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 2

Victoria Park flower market
Lucky Oranges
Lion dance
Night Parade in Tsim Sha Tseui
           










This week we have been celebrating the Lunar New Year in Hong Kong. This means I've spent less time on the MTR and more time relaxing in coffee shops and watching the festivities. I've seen far more guide books this week than I normally see around HK, especially in the hands of visitors from the Mainland who have come to spend time with their families. Last night on my way home from the fireworks I passed a young girl who was walking and reading at the same time (my favorite kind of person). She was reading The Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence. Other than that I saw two people with Chinese books and that was it.

What are people reading in your town this week?

Central Pier before the fireworks

3 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    The Roman Mysteries are a great Middle Grade series! I love them without remorse, despite my "advanced" age, and it would make my day to see someone else reading one of the books.

    Spot any fellow eReaders? The electronic medium makes it harder to see what they're reading, but hey, it's reading!

    Happy Lunar New Year! One of my favourite novels is set in Hong Kong during this very celebration (but back in the 1960s), but I didn't make the connection until I read your post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read The Roman Mysteries before, but now I'm intrigued.

    I've only seen about three other Kindles in Hong Kong in the last six months, and two of them were in the hands of other Westerners. I've seen twice as many iPads, but people are usually playing games or working on those. When I do see eReaders I'm always tempted to look over people's shoulders to see what they're reading :).

    Which novel is it? I really liked The Piano Teacher by Joyce Y. K. Lee which is also set in Hong Kong.

    Happy New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    I was referring to The Woman Who Had Two Navels by Nick Joaquin. I thought I mentioned the title in my last comment. Sorry!

    It seems that whenever I see an iPad, someone is playing a game or watching a video on it. I've yet to see an iPad user who looks as if he's reading something literate . . . but I'll keep my eyes peeled!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...