Thursday, March 3, 2011

Wednesday Dim Sum: HK Literary Festival Countdown


The Hong Kong International Literary Festival begins in just seven days. Today I got the schedule for the volunteers. The events I am definitely attending are listed below (even if attending means standing outside the door for the entire time, I'm still happy). The schedule may be subject to change, and in the next few days I will buy tickets for a few more events. I am making good progress on my reading list, and I've added works by each of these authors.


WEDNESDAY, March 9th

River Town to Open Roads with Peter Hessler

FRIDAY, March 11th

Factory Girls with Leslie T. Chang

SATURDAY, March 12th

I Want to Be a Writer with Aleesah Darlison

Life, the Universe and Everything with Amitav Ghosh and Stephen McCarty (Asia Literary Review)

In Conversation with Deborah Baker

MONDAY, March 14th

An Evening with Craig Silvey

TUESDAY, March 15th

Habit of a Foreign Sky with Xu Xi

Shangai Dancing with Brian Castro (These two happen simultaneously so I'm not sure how much I'll see)

WEDNESDAY, March 16th

2010 Man Asian Literary Prize

FRIDAY, March 18th

Closing Party with Everybody


Are you going to the festival? Which events are you attending? Do you have any questions for these authors in case I get to talk to them?

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm not attending (boo!) but! I wanted to give you this award: The details are over here One Lovely Blog Award. Have an awesome time and I really hope you get to go in and meet the authors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great line-up. Maybe you could do a post about the highlights/ best writing advice you receive at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathmeista: Thank you so much! I'm so glad I got connected to your blog. HK isn't too far away from Taiwan if you feel like dropping in for some of the events!

    Alisha: I think that's a good idea. I'm going to try to post about each event, and I'll definitely need a good wrap-up with the take home lessons I learned. There will be quite a few travel writers in attendance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Xu Xi/Brian Castro dilemma is a tough one. Xu Xi is a great writer and a former writing coach of mine. I've read "Shanghai Dancing" and found the subjects Castro wrote about to be complex and fascinating. I didn't understand everything in his novel, but those questions escape me now. You can't go wrong with either author, though!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...