Monday, December 5, 2011

Bookspotting: Week 45


This week I spotted a little boy carrying the newest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book, which was topping the bestseller charts last time I checked. I saw a teenager reading The Russian Master and Other Stories by Anton Chekhov on the MTR, and I saw an older man reading a slim green book called Inorganic Chemistry. I also noticed a man reading a glossy English book full of pictures this morning on my way to work. I counted five Chinese books this week.

At the Wednesday poetry night I frequently attend, I had the privilege of meeting Chinese poet Zheng Danyi, who read from his acclaimed bilingual collection Wings of Summer.

When Nanowrimo finished on Wednesday I had written about 25,000 words on my new project. That's short of my initial goal of 30k. I spent a lot of this month working on a round of edits of my Hong Kong book with my writing partner. I felt like I was a part of the Nanowrimo intensity even though I spent a lot of time cutting words instead of writing them.

How did your Nano project go? Did you spot any interesting books this week?

1 comment:

  1. We had a baby shower for one of my Book Group members, so it was a delight to see her unwrap The very hungry caterpillar by Eric Carle, which was a favourite with my sons and now my grandsons!We discussed Kazuo Ishiguro's Never let me go and it was interesting to see all the different covers, depending on where and when the book was purchased. Mine was on my Kindle.Lots of us were exchanging books, too; I spotted Behind the scenes at the museum by Kate Atkinson, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (which is our next book)and on the hostess'coffee table, Michele Paver's Soul Keeper, so I'm guessing there's a reading teenager in her house.I saw a Chinese man on the MTR reading Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a shopaholic which I thought an odd choice, but an interesting "spot"

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...