Monday, January 9, 2012

Bookspotting: Week 50


This week I spotted a schoolgirl reading a graphic novel as she walked through a breezeway near my work. I saw a young man who was also reading a graphic novel while we waited to see Girl with a Dragon Tattoo at the cinema (not as good as the Swedish movie). I saw another schoolgirl carrying a big English reader with a black cover. By this morning, those were the only books I had noticed all week, which is a little sparse compared to my normal bookspotting tally. I decided to take the long way home from work because it involves riding the Island Line, which is more likely to carry people reading English books than the Tsuen Wan Line through the center of Kowloon Peninsula. I was not disappointed. I spotted a young boy reading a big, illustrated book called Epidemics and Plagues (he was on the page about the Black Death). I spotted a woman reading a textbook with a bright orange cover. Finally, I spotted a woman carrying a slate gray Kindle.

What are people reading in your town this week? I'd love to hear about your bookspotting adventures in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I always see people reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", I guess because the movie is out now. Or because it's still very popular. I just finished Lisa See's new book, "Dreams of Joy" and am reading a new e-book by Kim Arbor called "His Wife and Daughters", about the real victims of a politician's sex scandal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in Shanghai this week, where I spotted a man reading Levitt & Dubner 's Freakonomics, a man reading a kindle and lots of people of many races looking at Shanghai guidebooks and maps. I'm reading "The immortal life of Henrietta Lacks" for my book club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reporting your bookspotting adventures Susan and Joyce.

    I keep meaning to get to Lisa See! The unread books have been piling up in my Kindle lately and I think I need to finish a few of them before I buy anything new.

    I remember when Levitt and Dubner visited my university, but I hadn't read the book at the time. I hope you're enjoying the Henrietta Lacks book, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...