Monday, February 20, 2012

Bookspotting: Week 56


This week I spotted a schoolgirl on the MTR reading a book called Mirrors. A woman on another train was reading a pocket-size Bible with red-edged pages. I saw a woman in Kowloon Park carrying a pink and purple hardcover book that was bigger than most textbooks. On Sunday I saw a group of women sitting on picnic blankets and swapping worn paperbacks. Today I spotted a young man reading a thick Penguin Classic when I was walking into KFC, but I didn't get close enough to see the title. I counted three Chinese books, one graphic novel, and one Kindle in various locations throughout Hong Kong.

In other news, I just booked a plane ticket to Shanghai! I'll be there during some of the Shanghai Literary Festival, and I'll tell you all about it in a few weeks.

What are people reading in your town this week?

8 comments:

  1. I have had a poor week for bookspotting, I've spotted only a few English guidebooks. Then at Discovery Bay on Saturday, I saw a man and his son in Dymocks buying the boy a book then saw them again later in Pacific Coffee looking at it together. Not close enough to see the title, but they were both laughing.
    I loved Shanghai, especially the older parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nice thing to see. I would love to know what they were reading too!

      Delete
  2. Have a wonderful time in Shanghai! There is such a great line up this year at the lit fest! I can't wait to hear all about it.

    I went to a party last week and scanned the sparse bookshelf. The book that stood out was Jaycee Dugard's memoir. I'm not sure why I noticed that more than the others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it, though I haven't decided which events to attend yet. I want to leave a little bit of time to see the city!

      I am interested in reading Jaycee Dugard's memoir, but I think I want to pick a time when it'll be okay to be a bit sad afterward.

      Delete
  3. I guess you are going to the Shanghai Literary Festival at M on the Bund restaurant. They have a M Literary Residency which you might wish to apply. I have the list of the authors attending, but hopefully, some literary agents and book publishers will also be there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it'll be at M on the Bund. I'm staying with one of my writer friends who moved there from HK recently. I didn't know about the literary residency. I don't think any agents are scheduled to attend, but that would be a great opportunity. There were two agents at the HK Literary Festival last year, but my book was nowhere near ready at the time.

      Delete
  4. Bookspotting. What a novel idea! I'm going to try this game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try it! But look out: once you start bookspotting it's very difficult to stop :).

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...