Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Sharkspotting


This weekend was the 15-year anniversary of the Handover of Hong Kong. We celebrated the three day weekend by going out on a junk boat for a day of swimming and sunbathing. While I was in the water with about ten other people, the folks on a boat nearby started yelling at us to get out because there was a shark. For a moment we thought they were joking, but climbed back onto the boat just in case. A few seconds later, I saw a fin the size of my arm sticking out of the water near the beach. The shark was over ten feet long and it hung around the three boats in the cove for about half an hour. I got a few pictures (which I'll post in my junk boat walking tour tomorrow), but the folks who first spotted the shark made an entire video! It turned out to be a harmless, filter-feeding whale shark. Enjoy this close-up look and I'll post my own pictures of the day tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, how scary! Even though it was harmless, it's probably hard to know that right away. When I lived in HK, there were three fatal shark attacks one summer, I think around Shek O. So glad everyone was all right on your boat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...